10/20/11

Seasons of change

I'll be the first to admit that Texas summers can be tortuously hot, but I still spent a great deal of the past few months lamenting the loss of swimming pools and frozen margaritas as my June through September day-to-day norm. What I came to realize, though, is that I could be outside comfortably without the aide of temperature altering accessories such as misters, fans, swimming pools, and frozen drinks. Although these things have defined good summer memories for me for the past 25 years, I saw this year that consistent 85 degree (and dry) sunshine is pretty darn luxurious.
I've found myself outdoors more; not only due to the weather, but of course due also to the beauty of the Wasatch Mountains. The weather also allows garden veggies to flourish, so because of this, and because Mexican food is not a deliciously default weekly meal, I'm eating quite fresh these days... resulting in a healthier body that is able to more quickly adapt to the demands of exercising in altitude. The outdoor activities are limitless here. And even if I am craving a bit of heat, the desert is just a couple hours south.
While the majority of my exercise is done through hiking and yoga, I also loved trying road-biking this summer, and ski season is just around the corner! I'm ashamed to say I haven't broken out my harness and climbing shoes since we've officially lived here- but I've come to the conclusion that climbing is just not my favorite thing, much to Ben's dismay :/ But it's good to know that when the mood strikes right, there are some of the most outrageous walls in the country right in my backyard.

I am officially equipped to simply load the car and go to the mountain to ski this winter. Ski clothes, skii's, boots, poles, season pass- check, check, check, check, check. Alta, here we come!

Another big change for me has been work. I haven't stepped foot in an acute care hospital in 7 months! (Well, except to interview in a few.) I'm working for a pediatric home care agency that is contracted with the public schools in UT. I get to escort a 5 year old Somalian refugee to kindergarten each week, and simply smother him with love and attention (while maintaining his airway of course ;). His medical condition combined with his family's resources require that he live in a long term care facility, so I have the privilege of witnessing his sole contact with the non-medical world. Although some days are hard or tedious, all my problems melt away when I receive a huge smile of recognition from him when I walk in each morning. I'm probably losing many of my hard-earned nursing skills, but I'm alright with that- because these patients matter more to me than pride in my knowledge and abilities. I have afternoons, weekends, and holidays off; which equals pretty low stress and a lot of free time. YoungLives continues to develop slowly, but is not very time-consuming yet. So, I still have lots of time to cook, play outside, go to the yoga studio or coffee shops, read, explore, and hang out with friends. It's really not too bad.

Our small church is beginning to grow, as is our circle of friends. I didn't mean for this post to be all gushy-fake-happy-sounding, but we really are finding the adjustment to Utah to be a happy one. I've found several women that I truly enjoy sharing life with, and Ben and I have a couple that has begun mentoring us. Our life is in motion, and we hope and expect it to stay this way.

I'm not sure, though, if Salt Lake will ever truly feel like home. As the "Mecca" of the Mormon religion, the city continues to give me strange vibes. There are wards (Mormon churches) in every neighborhood, situated among the houses, and the temples are ominous to my perception. The LDS church rejects the cross as a symbol for their faith, so I've begun wearing my cross necklace in an effort to claim my non-affiliation with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I don't do this to be obnoxious or make people uncomfortable, but it is a very easy way to let people know where you stand. It's strange to come from a culture where crosses are so widely embraced as a symbol of life and hope, and enter a place that views them as the opposite. The religious battles of the city make for a very new environment. (Example)

Anyway, as time goes on, so does life. And the Casey's are living. We'd love to host any family or friend that wishes to come our way, so please consider stopping in :) Happy Autumn! Xo, Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment