10/22/12

Yummy chicken tortilla soup, y'all!

I have to say, I made a delicious soup the other day and decided to write it down before I forgot what I did. Makes about 8 servings. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!


Suz’s Tortilla Soup


Soup:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- taco seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken stock or broth
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 (10.5 oz) can or 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can hominy, drained
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped HOT green chile peppers
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3+ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Toppings:
-       fresh squeezed lime juice
-       shredded Monterey Jack cheese
-       crushed tortilla chips
-       sliced avocado
-       chopped green onions

  1. Heat oven to 375. Drizzle some olive oil evenly over chicken breasts and sprinkle with taco seasoning on both sides. Bake until done, about 20-25 min. Allow to cool and shred with two forks. Set aside.
  2. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft/clear. Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, lime juice, tomatoes, broth, and water. Stir and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 mins.
  3. Stir in corn, hominy, green chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 1-4 hrs (the longer the better!).
  4. Serve hot with toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment