5/3/10

How the Haitians reformed my heart





The earthquake in January was devastating to the lives of Hatians. However, I learned that much of the poverty and lack of food, basic needs, and money were at a baseline negative before the devastating event. It's hard to believe, but the earthquake was a blessing that provided a flood of help and supplies that have always been needed in this country. However, food and supplies cannot replace the loss of the only things they really had- friends and family. You could see the glazed look in the eyes of the people.

The clinic brought in mostly malaria, worms, typhoid, various infections; compounded by malnourishment and dehydration. Many ailments could largely be attributed to PTSD. We saw many babies in the clinic being cared for by women who weren't their mamas and couldn't feed them without precious formula. I spent my first two days in the ER putting in IV's for fluid replacement, then doing wound care the following days. We had to turn people away every day, and had very limited resources to give adequate care. We could check only 2 labs- hemoglobin and malaria, we had 1 ultrasound machine with no linear probe and a C arm. Our clinic housed the only "sterile" OR in the country which is filled during the first week of every month with ortho surgeries- the only patients stable enough to survive waiting for surgery.







The single thing that made me feel so at home and so passionate about returning was the presence of God. These people had faith that was more alive and joyful than most any I've seen in the US. Even the Mission of Hope staff had some of the most humble hearts that encouraged me to praise God for the work he was doing in the lives of all the people. Church was filled with dancing and grinning faces all around that left tears streaming my face throughout. The music was half Creole, half English, so we could all lift our voices together. Nothing touches my heart more than hearing people of another culture singing praises to God in the native language, and this time I got to witness it in their native land and congregation of believers.

The Haitians have problems, as all people do. Their culture seems to breed laziness and a dependance on the donations and aid given to them. Their average salary is $2.50 a day, but many choose not to work. This was very frustrating to see, but I'm not sure that this mindset is any more wrong in God's eyes than America's obsession with wealth and status. At least they openly recognize the power of Christ and are eager to share their faith with everyone, even the relief workers... which is more than I could say of myself.






There are so many emotions flooding my heart that I don't understand. All I know is I have to go back with my husband so we can share the experience together. My soul sings to the God of creation, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment