
You know... so the other day at work, a med student asks, "how would you define marriage?" A saucy young Latina resident replies, "uh, let's see... impossible commitment, doomed for failure, unrealistic expectations, a bad decision, misery, would you like me to go on?" He replies, "wow! okay, gotcha, that's awesome."
Awesome?! So he's young and intimidated, but where was SHE coming from? I know this has to be a semi-popular opinion, and I certainly see how this applies to a marriage that does not lean on the grace of God. I know what a shallow relationship feels like, and I didn't like it one bit. Luckily, I had some really wise women speaking truth into my life, encouraging me to listen to the word of God, and encouraging me that there was so much more to look forward to.
I didn't know what love felt like until I met Ben. But only because of God's example of love for us were we able to develop a successful relationship from the start. We aren't perfect by any means, but through God, we can experience a love that transcends understanding. When Paul tells us "love never fails," I choose to believe him.
Nothing is more beautiful to me than being at a wedding that is about Jesus, truly seeking the blessing of God, dedicating their life to putting selfishness, pride, and anger behind them. It's traditional to quote scripture at a wedding and have a pastor perform the ceremony, but I wish so much that people would really pay attention to why this is the way it's done. Marriage can be the most rewarding and beautiful relationship that truly is the best earthly picture we have on this earth of Jesus' relationship to the church (us). He lived the perfect picture of love, with humility, selflessness, sacrifice, patience, kindness, and forgiveness, never holding a grudge or anger. When you get to witness someone displaying these aspects of Christ to you, it is the most powerful thing I can think of; therefore inspiring you to do the same in return!
I've been reading Song of Solomon recently, so I suppose this is especially close to my heart right now. That picture of love is true! And our God is amazing to have created us to have that! The only way it is sustainable though, is through leaning on His truth, and putting away our selfishness. Serve when you don't want to. Relax and be slow to anger. Never envy, hold pride or grudges. Don't keep score. Protect, trust each other. Persevere. Do not delight in evil, but rejoice in truth. Love never fails.
The list above? Not possible some would say. But with God, all things are possible. Jesus showed us it was. I thank God so much for loving me in a way that I cannot possibly earn or deserve. I thank Him for a husband that gives me a tiny glimpse into that love, because he follows Him.
In conclusion, my prayer for people everywhere is that they would come to know the love of Jesus, and therefore experience true love in a successful marriage, Amen.


No comments:
Post a Comment