1/10/11

New fabby winter recipes!

So, I've had a week off of work, and have been testing out some new recipes during the blustery cold weather. I have to share!

Meatloaf Muffins (I promise, so good)

Ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Worschestershire sauce
Chopped onion (enough to sprinkle into sauce)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. (I added garlic powder and pepper too). Add the ground beef, mixing well. Spoon this mixture into greased muffin tins (about 10 muffins).
In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worchestershire, and onions. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

I halved the recipe, which was more than enough for 2 people- only took 30-35 mins. I also added the sauce after baking. Yum!

Secondly,

Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed under cold water (I used celery, corn, and lima beans too)
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups turkey or chicken broth (I used left over turkey stock from Thanksgiving)
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked and diced or shredded turkey or chicken
Pastry for 9-inch two crust pie, prepared or purchased
Preparation:

Drain peas and carrots; set aside. Heat butter in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat then stir in broth and milk. Place back on heat; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in turkey and vegetables.
Prepare pastry. Roll 2/3 of the pastry into a 13-inch square; ease into ungreased 9-inch square pan, or 9 inch round deep dish pie pan. Pour turkey mixture into the pastry-lined pan. Roll remaining pastry into 11-inch square; cut out designs with small cookie cutter. Place square over filling; turn edges under and crimp. Bake in 425° oven until golden brown, about 35 min.

I highly recommend preparing your own pastry dough, but if you're too chicken (wink), Marie Callendar's is supposed to be the best. Enjoy!

I was going to post another new bread recipe, but I'm out of time. Love love!

1 comment:

  1. I am hungry... Can you FedEx me one of those Meat Loaf Balls??? Congrats on your kitchen domination! We just mastered venison spagetti and it was awesome. We are visiting in March, fyi. Love, Todd, Steph, and Thunder!

    ReplyDelete